Breastfeeding is very important for the mother and the baby’s health. Let’s see why?
The human milk is complete for the baby. It is the only food that the baby needs up to six months of age. Therefore it is good to talk to the pregnant woman, the partner and the whole family about the importance of breastfeeding. When the partner and other family members encourage breastfeeding the mother relaxes and feeds her baby for a longer time.
The conversations about breastfeeding can be based on what the pregnant woman and the partner want to know. This helps the leader’s orientations to be heard and put into practice.
A good start is to talk about the experiences of breastfeeding which the pregnant knows. What the sisters, grandmothers, mother-in-law, mother, friends and the partner say about breastfeeding can influence the pregnant woman on her wish to feed.
Leader, encourage the mother to breastfeed, talk about the advantages of breastfeeding to the baby:
• The human milk protects the baby against diseases as allergies, diarrhea, flues, urinary and respiratory infections;
• It is of easy digestion;
• Sucking develops and strengthens the baby’s mouth muscles, improving the chew, the act of swallowing and of speaking;
• It is a very special moment which strengthens the relationship between mother and child and conveys security, affection and the love necessary to develop well;
• It is a complete food.
Advantages of breastfeeding to the mother:
• It helps to diminish the bleeding after childbirth making the womb and the breasts volume return faster to their normal size;
• It increases the affective bond with the baby;
• In the first months, the breastfeeding prevents the ovulation, acting as a natural contraceptive. But, for the mother not to become pregnant again it is necessary that the baby is only breastfed when he/she wants without drinking tea or water;
• It is economic and comes ready;
• It reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
Breastfeeding: It is good for the mother and better for the baby!
“A man never hates his own body, but he feeds it and looks after it; and that is the way Christ treats the Church….” Eph 5:29